Tuesday 9 July 2013

Let's Learn Korean - Particle (으)면, (으)면 하다/좋겠다 -



1. Particle (으)면


This particle means 'if' or 'at'. (으)면 is used for root word which ends by consonant, while 면 is for root word which ends by vowel.

Example:  -  내일 학교에 가 나랑 같이 가요  =  If you go to school tomorrow, let's go together
                  -  그 차를 팔고싶으면 나한테 연락해요  =  Please contact me if you wanna sell that car

When this particle be paired with copula 이다, it changes into (이)면/(이)라면 for noun which ends by consonant, while 면/라면 for noun which ends by vowel. (read about copulas here)

Example:  -  수학이면 가르치지 못해요  =  I can't teach you if it's math
                  -  수학이라면 가르치지 못해요  =  I can't teach you if it's math
                  -  우유 마실 거예요  =  I'll drink this if it's milk
                  -  우유라면 마실 거예요  =  I'll drink this if it's milk
  
And when (이)면 or (이)라면 appears after adverbial time, the particle means 'at'.

Example:  -  5시 30분이면 학교에 갈래요  =  I'll be going to school at 5.30
                  -  한 학기 졸업하겠어요  =  I'll graduate in one semester







2. Particle (으)면 하다/좋겠다


Particle (으)면 하다 means 'please do it/please be it', while (으)면 좋겠다 means 'it'll be great". So, these particles show the hopes or wishes of the speaker.

Example:  -  이번 월에 비가 많이 오면 해요  =  I wish rain will come more often this month
                   -  내년에 TOHOSHINKI의 콘서트를 보면 좋겠어요  =  I wish I could watch TOHOSHINKI's concert next year

When you add past tense particle, it'll make the hope/wish more explicit.

Example:  -  한국에 빨리 가야 됐으면 좋겠어요  =  It'll be great if i can go to South Korea soon
                   -  동방신기를 만나야 됐으면 좋겠어요  =  I wish I could meet TVXQ!






whoa oh.. Baby 나라면 좋겠어 그러면 좋겠
Lonely lonely oh 사랑해줘
더 이상은 혼자이긴 싫은데
Oh oh oh I love you...




No comments: